“Simply Radiant, Simply Natural” Handcrafted Dental Crowns, Veneers, and Inlays
At Prosthetic Dentistry of Washington D.C., we take great pride in having made a difference to thousands of patients for over 35 years. Our goal: make it radiant, make it natural.
In this digital era where stamped-out, milled crowns and veneers are routinely developed from virtual libraries in software programs, we take pride in hand-crafting all of our crowns and veneers in our in-house dental laboratory. Your restoration will be developed using custom anatomic form to match your natural tooth shape or blend with your facial pattern. Additionally, we provide custom, internal shading (rather than just surface staining) to blend with your coloring followed by an overlay of specific translucent enamel porcelains to replicate the 3-Dimensional feel of a natural tooth.
As a result, we consistently provide dental crowns and dental veneers that have a great look with an unsurpassed fit that lasts over thirty-five years (3-4X the national average).
If you are seeking a specialist for your cosmetic and implant restorations, only the prosthodontist like Dr. Marlin, has the specialty training for these and other restorative areas of dentistry.
To experience our level of unsurpassed quality for yourself, email Dr. Gerald Marlin at Prosthetic Dentistry of Washington D.C. today or call us at 202-244-2101. We transform the smiles of patients from across the country and abroad, including Washington D.C., Bethesda, Arlington, and nearby areas of Maryland and Northern Virginia.
Cosmetic Dentistry and smile makeover Topics Covered on this Page:
- What to Consider When Choosing Dr. Marlin and his Team for Your Cosmetic Dentistry
- What is Cosmetic Dentistry?
- Our Cosmetic Dentistry Procedures
- What We Consider When Creating Your Smile Makeover
- What's the Ultimate Smile Makeover?
- Examples of Different Types of Smile Makeovers
- Our Rapid Emergency Care when You Break a Front Tooth
- Choosing the Right Cosmetic Dentist
- Our Commitment to You
- How Much Does Cosmetic Dentistry Cost?
- Contact Us to Schedule a Consultation
Dr. Marlin will deliver the natural elegance of a dazzling, vibrant smile that will boost your self-confidence in social and professional settings.
- Experience you can trust: Dr. Marlin is a nationally renowned implant and cosmetic specialist. Other dentists and oral surgeons often refer their patients to Dr. Marlin because of the quality of his work
- We listen to you: We first listen to the nature of your problems and aesthetic goals, prior to making our recommendations to you
- Trained under Masahiro Kuwata (Japanese master ceramist) in the 80’s to learn his “Anatomic Shading Technique” (custom internal coloration) used to create the most vibrant, 3-dimensional crowns
- Our in-house laboratory technician, trained in the “Anatomic Shading Technique”, works directly with you
- Proven History of Results: a reputation for delivering stunning results (see smile makeover, below, and our Gallery)
- Unsurpassed quality: Our custom, high-quality work is second to none. Our patients have loved their results for years and even decades thereafter
- Passion for excellence: We don’t rest until you have the makeover, function and overall appearance of your teeth and smile that you want and deserve
“Before I sought Dr. Marlin’s help, I had very weak, damaged teeth. I was constantly worrying when one may break. I felt very self-conscious about my smile, especially in photos.…
[Dr. Marlin] listened to my concerns and assured me that my teeth would not only be corrected with porcelain crowns, but that they would look natural and congruent with my features. His team worked tirelessly to ensure the function and aesthetics of my teeth were exceptional and to my liking.
I was so impressed to see that the crowns his team developed looked almost identical to my natural teeth prior to the wear and damage just as I had hoped they would. I couldn’t be happier with the outcome and I feel as if a huge weight has been lifted having addressed my dental issues with such a professional and talented team.
Thank you, Dr. Marlin and team for the amazing job you did, for your kindness and understanding throughout the process….
You guys are the best!!”
– Sara C
To experience our level of unsurpassed quality for yourself, contact Prosthetic Dentistry of Washington D.C. today online or at 202-244-2101. We transform the smiles of patients throughout Washington D.C., Chevy Chase, Bethesda, Rockville, Arlington, throughout the US and abroad. For those coming from out of the area, see our section, Fly-in for Service for a description of lodging, restaurants, shopping and other amenities.
The term cosmetic dentistry refers to the skillful combination of art and science to improve the attractiveness and functionality of your smile. Even minor cosmetic dental treatments can make a significant difference in your smile, and dramatically improve the way you look and feel about yourself. As your cosmetic dentistry specialist, Dr. Marlin, one of the top prosthodontists in the Washington, D.C. area, and his laboratory technician work closely together applying individualized anatomic form, coloration, and translucency to your crowns or veneers to achieve the most sparkling results.
Since the cause and extent of dental problems are unique to each patient, Dr. Marlin, your cosmetic dentistry specialist, will conduct a thorough oral exam and carefully explain each of your treatment options. Honest, straightforward communication is a cornerstone of our approach. By helping you understand your condition and options, you are empowered to make well-informed decisions about your own treatment plan.
If you want to positively affect the appearance of your smile, Dr. Marlin and his skilled team can address a variety of dental issues, such as missing, gapped, or cracked teeth; misshaped or crooked teeth; discolored or stained teeth, and/or a gummy smile. Examples are shown, below.
The natural elegance of your smile encompasses more than just the appearance of your teeth. It involves the contours and structure of your entire face, and it is imperative that your new crowns and veneers complement them while being vibrant. You will receive a new-found confidence when smiling and interacting with others.
We offer a variety of cosmetic dental solutions to help you achieve the healthy, beautiful smile you deserve, including:
- Smile Makeover also known as smile makeover: More than a single treatment, a smile makeover is a combination of customized procedures designed to comprehensively improve the appearance of your whole smile.
It’s important to remember that cosmetic dentistry is not solely focused on aesthetics. Many procedures correct more than just cosmetic flaws; they remove defective restorations frequently with recurrent decay, strengthen your bite, restore your oral health and enhance your overall well-being. (See below for Examples of Different Types of Smile Makeovers).
- Porcelain veneers: Dental veneers are thin, customized shells of ceramic material that are bonded to the front surface of your teeth to conceal a wide range of cosmetic imperfections. They are typically used to reshape misshaped, gapped, or malpositioned teeth. Porcelain veneers need to have translucency for them to appear natural.
For that reason, Dr. Marlin will not recommend dental veneers if your teeth are severely discolored. If the underlying teeth are too dark, the veneers will appear “fake” as the technician uses white opaque to mask the underlying tooth’s dark color. Furthermore, veneers should never be used on anterior teeth having large fillings as they will need to be redone when the underlying fillings break down with possible decay.
- Porcelain crowns: When conditions preclude the use of veneers, Dr. Marlin will recommend crowns as the “tried and proven”, preferred therapy. When hand-crafted by our talented laboratory technician, dental crowns provide ideal shape, color and translucency of natural teeth no matter what the color or shape of your underlying tooth. We do not provide stock, milled crowns fabricated from a software program.
Call us today to learn how Dr. Marlin’s custom dental crowns can give you the radiant natural smile you’ve always wanted.
- Teeth Whitening as an Art: A dazzling, white smile can give you a healthy, vibrant appearance and boost your self-confidence in social and professional settings. Our professional chairside teeth whitening services can be an affordable solution to revamping your smile.
Rather than using “bleaching trays”, we control the whitening of multiple teeth having different colorations to create a uniform sparkling appearance, and, most importantly, to prevent a critical loss of translucency from “over whitening”. Opaque, over-whitened teeth appear “fake”, especially with a tanned or darker complexion.
- Gum Contouring: If you suffer from a “gummy smile”, Dr. Marlin can help you achieve the ideal gum contours you desire and create a naturally beautiful smile. (To see an example of a smile makeover of the Gummy Smile, see Our Examples of Different Types of Smile Makeovers, below and in our Gallery).
- Dental implants: Allowing missing teeth to go untreated can jeopardize your health and appearance. Dental implants are the gold standard of tooth replacement options and Dr. Marlin is one of the most respected and renowned implant specialists in the nation. Visit our Dental Implants page for examples and more information about your options.
Dr. Marlin works diligently to create world-class smiles without ever sacrificing the functionality and health of your teeth and gums. If you live in the Washington D.C. area, including Maryland and Northern Virginia, please call us at 202-244-2101 to begin the journey toward your perfect smile.
Creating a smile makeover is a highly sophisticated mouth restoration process requiring an extensive knowledge of the following:
- What is bothering you, how long it has been going on, and what would you like for the correction
- How to restore your occlusal vertical dimension (proper height of the bite) for a more youthful appearance, if necessary
- The shapes of your front teeth necessary to match-to or improve-upon your other teeth, particular facial profile, and/or lip line
- A complete grasp of your teeth’s hue (color), chroma (intensity of that color), and value (degree of brightness)
- What is necessary to stabilize your bite
The Smile Makeover is an advanced process requiring extensive expertise, a highly trained team, and an in-house laboratory to obtain the optimal aesthetic and functional results. It requires an attention to detail when creating the anatomic form of your teeth in relation to your facial profile and lip line, and an understanding of the appropriate coloring and translucency to make your restoration “simply radiant, simply natural”.
You should always ask if your crowns will be handcrafted. Milled (standard) crowns fabricated in a software program are almost always a bad choice for a smile makeover. At our practice, you can always count on the highest quality hand-crafted crowns so you have the smile you’ve always wanted.
Below are a few examples of the many types of Cosmetic Makeovers that we have performed (others are shown in our Gallery):
- Tetracycline Staining and Severe Tooth Discoloration
Tetracycline stained teeth or other dark-colored teeth present a significant challenge for an aesthetic makeover. Using veneers for this makeover is contraindicated, since a very strong white opaque would be needed to block out the dark stains, thereby eliminating the translucency. The dental veneers would end up looking unnatural. This smile makeover is usually quite dramatic.
- Diastema, Spacing, or Gaps Between Teeth
Restoring maxillary anterior teeth with a large diastema (space) between the central incisors is quite challenging. How do we fill in the space without the teeth looking very unnatural?
The key to that type of restoration is the use of line angles to make the crowns that are filling in the space appear narrower than they really are and to spread out the spacing along all six anterior teeth. By having several teeth absorb the extra width, instead of the two central incisors, we can make all of the teeth appear natural. This patient also plans to have several of her back teeth crowned, as well.
- Enamel Erosion from Dysplasia Causing a Mottled, Rough and Discolored Appearance
An individual’s teeth can develop with mottled, discolored enamel that makes them appear unsightly and, thereby, dominate her smile. Before her smile makeover, this otherwise gregarious, engaging person was very self-conscious about her smile.
- Fixing the Gummy Smile
Having been unhappy with her gummy smile for a very long time, Ms. B presented for an aesthetic correction. We designed her temporary crowns and referred her to a periodontist who reshaped her gum tissue to blend with her new crowns. With the final crowns inserted, the change was striking.
- Severe Wear Detracting from Her Appearance
Starting out in a new career, this very pretty young woman was unhappy that her very severely worn teeth were detracting from her appearance. We opened her bite and recreated the shapes of her original teeth by blending them naturally with her facial profile.
- Complete Aesthetic Breakdown
Sometimes a combination of discolored teeth from too much fluoride in the water, tetracycline staining, and inadequately shaped, colored and layered crowns can add up to a complete aesthetic breakdown. We provided her with a bright smile by incorporating extra enamel (translucency) to keep “whiter teeth” natural looking.
When you break a tooth, you need immediate attention! Since we have our own in-house lab, we have the capability to rapidly respond and re-establish your aesthetics and function.
When Michael fell down and broke his front teeth over the weekend, we brought him in, took records, fabricated temporary crowns overnight, and, with the accommodation of one of our patients, he had an immediate smile makeover the next day. Four months later, after everything healed, he was completely rejuvenated.
We recognize that choosing the “right” cosmetic and implant dentist can be quite confusing. To help with this important decision, Dr. Marlin authored the “Patient’s Guide to Implant, Cosmetic, and Restorative Dentistry” in order to help you to understand the issues and make an informed decision regarding your dental care. Please order your free copy.
As a valued patient at our practice, you will receive exceptional, personalized treatment planning tailored to your unique goals and expectations. Honest communication is at the core of our approach to patient care. By listening to you first, we can better understand your concerns and cosmetic dentistry goals from your own perspective. This is followed by a comprehensive oral evaluation that helps us better understand the state of your oral health and all of the treatment options available to you.
Your health, well-being and satisfaction are at the center of every decision we make. Providing unsurpassed quality and making a positive difference in the lives of our patients have always been the guiding principles of our practice. Having spent decades at the forefront of prosthetic and cosmetic dentistry, Dr. Marlin and our talented team possess the skill and experience necessary to deliver unparalleled results in an atmosphere that is open, honest and compassionate. We will never take shortcuts or compromise on quality or safety. This is our commitment to you.
Read more about cosmetic dentistry options in our blog
We believe that exceptional dental care never involves a one-size-fits-all approach to treatment planning. Therefore, the cost of your cosmetic dental treatment will vary from other patients, depending on your unique goals and the extent of work needed to achieve your ideal smile. During your initial consultation with Dr. Marlin, he will recommend the procedure or combination of treatments that can best help you achieve your desired outcome. He will also explain any appropriate treatment options and alternatives that may fit better within your budget and lifestyle.
Cost should never stand between you and the premium care you deserve. Our friendly team will happily discuss all of your payment and financing options.
If you are ready to achieve the vibrant, gorgeous smile of your dreams, contact Prosthetic Dentistry of Washington D.C. today by completing the form on this page or calling 202-244-2101 to schedule a personal consultation with Dr. Gerald Marlin. Our state-of-the-art office in D.C. welcomes patients from every corner of the nation, including Bethesda and Arlington.
Back to Top