Top-Rated Prosthodontist who is Washington’s most experienced specialist with surgically inserting and restoring dental implants.
If you are missing one or more teeth, you may avoid smiling. Even a single missing tooth can impact your self-confidence.
But it’s more than that. One or more missing teeth can cause serious health consequences for you including:
- Problems with your jaw alignment and issues with your bite
- Loss of bone density in your jaw
- Joint and muscle pain in your jaw as your teeth shift into gaps
- Stress on your other teeth resulting in breakdown or additional tooth loss
The good news is that Dr. Marlin can help. If you are missing teeth and would like to discuss your dental implant options, please call our experienced prosthodontist, Dr. Gerald Marlin, today at 202-244-2101 to schedule an appointment. We welcome patients from Washington D.C., Bethesda, Chevy Chase, Potomac, Rockville, Alexandria, Arlington, and other nearby areas, as well as from other areas of the country and abroad.
Because of our well-situated uptown location and our high efficiency treatment regimen resulting from working directly with our own in-house technician, many downtown-area patients come to us at the beginning or end of their busy workday in addition to the many patients who come to us from all around the world.
Information on Dental Implants Covered on This Page:
- Why Choose Dr. Marlin and his Team for Your Implant Therapy?
- What Are Dental Implants?
- What is Precision Implant Restoration?
- How a front tooth is replaced by an implant and crown
- smile makeover on Multiple Implants
- When and How is Bone Grafting/Ridge Augmentation Performed?
- Same-Day Implants and Prosthesis
- Private Practice Alternative to Clear Choice®
- Complete Arch Fixed Bridge over Multiple Implants Instead of Same Day Implants
- Another Full Arch Fixed Splint Option
- Mini Dental Implants
Am I a Good Candidate for Dental Implants?
Dental implants are a great solution for people many people with missing teeth and Dr. Marlin will take the time to listen to your concerns and evaluate your full mouth to make sure that implants are the best solution for you.
Here are a few factors that can determine if you are a good candidate for dental implants:
- You are in good overall health, are not a severe diabetic, and have a strong immune system
- You have healthy gums with no infections (which can first be treated)
- You have good bone density in your jaw (Note that Dr. Marlin can improve your bone density if it is currently insufficient)
- You are not pregnant
- You are a nonsmoker or can you quit before the procedure
You Can Benefit from Dental Implants
If you are missing one or more teeth, dental implants offer tremendous benefits, including:
- Your dental implants will preserve the health of the rest of your jaw and your other teeth by preventing overcrowding, bite misalignment, jaw bone loss, and breakdown of your other teeth, among other problems.
- Your dental implants will give you back the smile that you have been hiding. Not only will they fill in the gaps, but, since we carefully match the color and luster of your other teeth, you will be proud to show off your healthy smile.
- Your dental implants are extremely durable and with proper hygiene will last a lifetime.
- Your dental implants will have the stability, look and feel of natural teeth, giving you the comfort, convenience, and independence that you have been missing.
There are a lot of reasons why Dr. Marlin and his team are the right choice when you are considering dental implants. Most importantly, Dr. Marlin and his team put you first. He will take the time to listen to you and understand your concerns. Our goal is always to provide you with the best solution for your dental problems.
Here are a few additional reasons to choose Dr. Marlin and his team:
- Experience. Dr. Marlin has placed and restored more than 3,000 dental implants for his patients.
- Comprehensive Approach to Patient Care. Unlike other dental offices, we have our own in-house dental lab to make custom abutments and crowns to precisely match your existing teeth, and we perform the entire process right here in our office. This means you don’t have to go to a separate oral surgeon or periodontist to have the implant placed.
- Best Dentist Award. Dr. Marlin has been named to The Washingtonian’s list of Best Dentists every year since 2003. He is known for creating “simply radiant, simply natural” smiles.
- Innovation and Technology. Dr. Marlin invented the “emergence profile abutment” and uses a CT Scan generated surgical guide for precision implant placement.
- Trusted for Complex Cases. Dr. Marlin is trusted for handling both “simple” single implants to the most complex cases. Many of our patients come from referrals, from existing patients as well as other dentists and oral surgeons who recognize Dr. Marlin's expertise with complex dental implant cases. So, you can be confident that he will know the best way to help you. Below are just a few examples of complex cases he has handled.
Dental implants are the strongest, most reliable tooth replacement solution available. Inserted directly into the jawbone, they are designed to provide a permanent base for replacement teeth that function, look and feel just like natural teeth. With their high predictability and success rates (>97%), dental implants are an excellent option for tooth replacement. An implant (red arrow) replaces your tooth’s missing root providing a variety of functional and aesthetic benefits.
While the thought of having to lose a front tooth can be very traumatic, we replace that tooth using Precision Implant Placement followed by our In-house Lab creating a custom “emergence profile” abutment and crown. The result is quite striking and very natural, assuring a great smile, solid function, and jawbone preservation.
Having surgically inserted and restored thousands of implants, Dr. Marlin and his team, completely understand that losing a tooth and having to replace it with an implant can make you very anxious. Rest assured that, under our care, we will pay great attention to your comfort during procedures (including oral and I.V. sedation), and that your smile line will stay intact or even improve from start to finish (see below).
Usually, there are a variety of dental implant treatment options. Dr. Marlin will work closely with you to determine which one best suits your dental needs, goals, and budget. During your consultation, he will take the time to answer all of your questions and carefully explain each of your treatment alternatives. We firmly believe in patient education and helping you make informed decisions about your dental care.
If you are missing one or more teeth and would like to have a better understanding of your problem, how the surgery is painlessly performed, how a “simply radiant, simply natural” replacement tooth is created, and your treatment options call 202-244-2101.
You will be delighted that you sought the opinion of such an experienced implant and cosmetic specialist as Dr. Gerald Marlin. You can trust him and his highly experienced team to provide you with exceptional care and the results you deserve. We serve patients from Washington D.C., Bethesda, Chevy Chase, Potomac, Rockville, Alexandria, Arlington, and other nearby areas, as well as from other areas of the country and abroad.
“5 stars….Best Prosthodontist in the DC/MD/VA area. I personally experienced Dr. Marlin’s professional and expert attention in inserting and restoring 2 implants and 6 crowns over a period of 15 years. He pays great attention to detail, has an efficient and prompt staff and makes sure that the process results in a successful conclusion. He understands implant, cosmetic, and restorative dentistry very well, but also has “magic fingers” that minimizes pain and discomfort.”
How Long Does Dental Implant Placement Take?
The dental implant process is completed in four main phases, typically over several months. During your first visit, we will place the titanium screw in your jaw bone. This has to completely fuse with your jaw just like all of your other teeth, which may take several months.
Once it has fully adhered with your jaw, you can come in for your second appointment. During your second visit, we will place a healing abutment (in many instances the healing abutment and implant are placed together).
During our third visit, an impression is performed.
On your final visit, we will place your restoration, ensuring that it fits seamlessly with your smile, along with a comfortable bite.
You may require additional visits if bone grafting is necessary for successful implant placement. As with all other aspects of your dental implant placement, this is completed in our office by Dr. Marlin.
Our “End-to-End” Implant Therapy:
Precise Implant Surgery Followed by its Restoration-in One Office
Overall, the cosmetics, function, and longevity of your implant replacement tooth are directly related to three factors:
- Precise surgical insertion of the implant;
- Quality of the laboratory fabricating the custom abutment and crown;
- Clinical steps used and the expertise of the restorative dentist or prosthodontist.
We control all three treatment stages in-house, starting with precision implant surgical placement, followed by our In-house Laboratory fabricating the custom abutment and replacement tooth, and ending with their meticulous insertion. Our patients appreciate having this comprehensive care performed in one office. To see an overview of the steps necessary for great aesthetics, precise fit, and best function see below, “Single Anterior Implant Restored”.
Applying his comprehensive restorative knowledge along with his extensive implant surgical expertise, Dr. Marlin designs your replacement teeth and uses 3D imaging to preplan your implant’s placement. Our in-house lab technician first designs your final crown (yellow arrow) that will fit over the implant site and scans its image to a CT scan of the jaw.
- Using “virtual reality”, Dr. Marlin “places” the Implant (red arrow) on the CT scan to fit under the image of the crown (yellow arrow)
- A CT scan generated Surgical Guide is then fabricated for inserting the implant in that position
- Using the guide, Dr. Marlin surgically inserts the implant in the jaw to fit precisely under the preplanned crown
- The temporary restoration (yellow arrow) is then placed over the implant (red arrow), maintaining your smile at all times
- Where indicated, Dr. Marlin also rebuilds the jaw with bone grafts to regrow bone in extraction sockets and rebuild resorbed ridges for the best aesthetics, function, and long-term success
- Oral or I.V. sedation is provided to reduce your anxiety and make your implant and bone graft surgery a gentler process
- Our patients experience very little pain after the surgery with most of them only needing Advil, Motrin, or Ibuprofen as the post-operative medication, even though they are also given stronger medications as a back-up
If you are missing one or more teeth and would like to have a better understanding of how implant placement can affect or has affected your aesthetics and function, and how a “simply radiant, simply natural” replacement tooth can be created, or how we can salvage an already-inserted, misplaced implant, call 202-244-2101.
The thought of losing a front tooth can be very frightening, and replacing that tooth with an implant and crown is one of the most challenging areas of restorative dentistry, especially when restoring one of the two central incisors which are in the midline. If that implant is not ideally placed, the overlying crown will not be as aesthetically pleasing as desired.
However, using careful planning and delivery, Dr. Marlin consistently replaces the missing tooth with a “simply radiant, simply natural” crown seated on an optimal abutment installed on an ideally positioned implant.
The SlideShare, below, demonstrates how that is accomplished in our office.
If you are missing one or more anterior (front) teeth and would like to have a better understanding of your special aesthetic requirements, how we will resolve them to provide you with a “simply radiant, simply natural” smile over anterior implants, call 202-244-2101.
This 15-year-old patient from McLean, VA was congenitally missing multiple teeth resulting in a collapsed bite. She was referred to us by her orthodontist to reconstruct her dentition at the completion of her orthodontic therapy using implants as replacement roots with crowns being placed over the implants and natural teeth to establish a captivating smile line.
We are very proud that she has become a very accomplished, self-confident corporate lawyer.
If you are missing one or more anterior teeth and would like to have a better understanding of how you can be restored with implants while achieving a smile makeover, call 202-244-2101.
Prior to or during implant placement, Dr. Marlin frequently performs bone grafting procedures to reinforce implants by facilitating bone growth in extraction sockets (socket preservation), building-out an atrophic bony ridge (ridge augmentation), and increasing the bone density (densification). When tooth roots or implants are in the jaw, the bone is preserved. Conversely, when either are not in place, the bone resorbs. Therefore, bone grafting is often needed to rebuild the bone to support the implant.
When the bone has atrophied from disuse, periodontal disease, from a tooth extraction, or just the individual’s anatomy, an implant cannot be placed without bone grafting/ridge augmentation of the site either before or in combination with the placement of the implant.
In this example, the tooth position potentially jeopardized the bone when being removed, and the ridge had a 45⁰ angulation while being too narrow (5.6mm) to receive and restore an implant. Therefore, the tooth was precisely extracted preserving the bone and bone grafting/ridge augmentation was performed to widen the ridge to 10.4mm while changing its angulation from 45⁰ to 20⁰. By rejuvenating the bone, the implant was preplanned and inserted to fit in an ideal position directly below the temporary crown.
Dr. Marlin is not only committed to bone preservation as a priority, but also saving teeth, when possible. In addition, he has helped thousands of patients achieve and maintain optimal oral health. He will carefully evaluate your unique situation and develop a customized treatment plan tailored to your specific needs.
If you have been told that you have had bone loss and/or will be losing one or more teeth and would like a definitive assessment of your situation, call 202-244-2101.
Please read this page for a more detailed explanation of bone grafting.
There are multiple versions of this technique that are being marketed under the following trade names:
- Clear Choice® 2
- Teeth-in-a Day®3
- Teeth In One Visit
- Bar Attachment Denture
- Dental Implants in 3 Minutes
- Immediate Load Hybrid Prosthesis
There are many other one-day implant treatment offerings of a full arch of replacement teeth. To avoid confusion, we group all of these variations of the same therapy together via our own term, “Same-day Implants and Prosthesis” with the qualifier that we believe in bone preservation, whereas the above techniques are uniformly based upon bone reduction.
Immediate Load Fixed Hybrid Prosthesis also Known as Same Day Implants, All-on-4®,6 or 8; and Several Other Names: Implants can be inserted; bone grafts can be placed and your denture can be retrofitted to the implant fixtures to create a screw-down prosthesis. After four to six months, the final prosthesis is fabricated. It provides a full arch fixed appliance at significantly reduced costs. (See this patient in our Gallery)
For a more detailed discussion of the Immediate Load Fixed Hybrid Prosthesis or the All-on-4® type of prosthesis process, please see the section entitled, “Same Day Implants and Prosthesis”.
While we both provide Same Day Implants, our private practice environment, treatment regimen, and focus is very different than Clear Choice®. See how we’re different than Clear Choice®.
The fixed bridge seated over multiple abutments that are, in turn, seated over multiple implants requires a very sophisticated surgical and restorative technique. The patient in this example was very adamant about not having any of the “Same Day Implants” treatment regimens. She wanted crowns on custom abutments. She had extensive bone loss around her remaining upper teeth that needed to be replaced with multiple implants. Pink porcelain was used to replicate missing gingiva (gum tissue).
Six Unit Anterior Crown and Bridge Splint with a Precision Partial Denture: Some patients don’t have adequate bone in the back of their jaws for implants. Do not despair. This appliance is an aesthetic and stable alternative to the Immediate Load Fixed Hybrid Prosthesis and also provides you with stable back teeth on a precision removable prosthesis for chewing.
If you are missing multiple teeth in one arch or have been told that your remaining teeth in an arch are predominantly hopeless, and would like to have a better understanding of your treatment options and how we can resolve them, or if you have been told that you need them extracted, but are uncertain of that conclusion, call to discuss your concerns or questions at 202-244-2101.
Learn more about full arch implant options.
Dental implants come in different varieties, one of which is the mini implant. As the name implies, these implants are smaller than traditional implants and can be used in areas not accessible with traditional restorations or to support a less costly prosthesis.
Since mini dental implants require less bone than traditional implants, many people who are not candidates for traditional implants due to the insufficient bone may be candidates for the mini implants. They can either serve as permanent implants or as interim ones to hold and stabilize a denture while the bone is being rebuilt by grafting. Depending upon the situation or the type of prosthesis seated on them, mini implants can be less costly than traditional implants, when used to stabilize final dentures. Since they are immediately loaded, mini implants provide instant stability to the denture prosthesis.
Unfortunately, we have had patients who come to us with failing mini implants because they were restored with crowns. Mini implants are absolutely not intended to support individual crowns (caps), but if you are missing several teeth, they can be used to stabilize an overdenture. Dr. Marlin will discuss which implant options are best suited for your unique needs during your initial consultation and can be reached at 202-244-2101.
How Much do Dental Implants Cost?
The cost of dental implants will depend on the type and number of implants that you need as well as any issues that increase the complexity of your case. The type of restorative prosthesis you are getting will also affect the price of your treatment. During your initial consultation with Dr. Marlin, he will assess your condition, explain your treatment options and fully explain the scope of work needed to complete your unique implant needs.
When you visit our office, our staff will discuss pricing and our payment and financing options.
Schedule your Dental Implant Consultation Today
To learn more about dental implants, cost, and financing, and to find out if they are right for you, please email us or call 202-244-2101 to schedule an initial consultation with Dr. Marlin. We welcome dental implant patients from Washington D.C., Bethesda, Chevy Chase, Potomac, Rockville, Alexandria, Arlington, and other nearby areas, as well as from other areas of the country and abroad.
1 All-on-4® is the registered trademark of Nobel Biocare describing a therapy using the company’s components and a specified treatment regimen. We do not use either their components or treatment regimen, preferring to maintain as much bone as possible with bone grafts and other procedures.
2 Clear Choice Dental Implants is a registered service mark of Clear Choice Holdings LLC, which is not affiliated with and does not endorse nor sponsor the services of PDWDC.
3 "Trademarked Teeth In a Day® Implant Treatment belongs exclusively to Pi Dental Center...”